Accidental podophyllin poisoning in a 3-year-old child
Accidental poisoning in children remains a common presentation in healthcare centres worldwide, with the highest rates of fatal poisonings occurring in Africa. Podophyllin, commonly used for genital warts, is a rare agent in poisoning cases. A few cases have been reported in the international literature, with serious systemic and neurological side-effects. We report a case of accidental podophyllin poisoning in a 3-year-old boy, which was complicated with organ dysfunction. The case highlights the severe neurological side-effects of podophyllin poisoning and the importance of accident prevention in our communities.
Thandi de Wit, Department of Paediatrics, Pietermaritzburg Hospital Complex, South Africa
Tashmin Bisseru, Department of Paediatrics, Pietermaritzburg Hospital Complex, South Africa
Full TextPDF (101KB)
Cite this article
Date published: 2015-01-29
Full text views: 1110